Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Soul Surfer

I'm pretty sure it is going to take at least a week before I come down off the high of being blessed by the movie Soul Surfer.

It will take equally as long for the puffiness under, around, and above my eyes to get back to normal. This is a movie that should come with a personal-size pack of Kleenex when you pay for admission.

Originally, when I took advantage of the Groupon that allowed us to get into Studio Movie Grill for $5 (ticket AND drink--do you smell the bargain here?), I was thinking we'd go see HOP. After all, it was Easter time, the bunny is cute, and the movie seemed almost as cute as the rabbit. Except for that pooping the jelly beans bit.

HOP came into theaters about the same time as Soul Surfer. And, while HOP was getting ho-hum reviews, Soul Surfer was eating it up.

Critics loved this story of a surfer who looses an arm to a shark attack. And that fact was what made me question whether or not the kids should join me and Mike at the theater. After all, I didn't want them to be scared around water for years, like Jaws managed to do to me in the 70's.*

So, what to do?

We decided the story itself would trump any worries we had about the attack. Off to the movie we all went in the family truckster.

And, by-golly-by-gosh, did we make the right choice!** The attack happened so fast that, if you happened to look down at your drink, you might have missed it.*** I actually think the build-up to the shark was worse; I was wondering, from scene one, "Is this the time she gets attacked?"

Bethany Hamilton is an amazing witness. She is perseverance, persistence, and faith rolled up into one big ball. She is a force to be reckoned with and I expect we'll be hearing a lot from her after all the exposure from this movie. I, for one, am glad there is a young role model for my kids to look up to.

A big, happy shout-out to the people who made Soul Surfer, and chose to leave scenes depicting church services, mission trips, a father reading the Bible, and scripture quotes in the movie. Anything short of this would have seemed hollow because Bethany's story is truly one of faith, getting past why bad things happen, and embracing life with vigor and fearlessness.

Now I'm salivating to see the next "Christian" movie coming out of theaters, which we saw a preview for: Courageous.**** That preview made me cry, so at least I'll know I should bring my own box of tissues.

Go ahead and call me a sap. I don't care, as long as Hollywood keeps cranking out movies that mean something and have a message I'm glad to share with my kids.

Now THAT is what I call entertainment.




*When I was 12 years old, I'd even get the heebie-jeebies when swimming in our above-ground pool. Even today, I'm still a little wary in the ocean. I just know that dang shark is coming out of nowhere to get me.....

**I think that's time number two, since we've had kids, that we made the right choice. WOOT!

***Now, of course, the aftermath is readily apparent for the rest of the movie and there is blood, so factor that in when considering for your own kids.

****From the makers of Facing the Giants.

No comments:

Post a Comment