Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Things I'm thankful for today:

1. The provision of a meal that will outlast the lunch my family will share and will provide extra food for days on end.

2. Less cooking in the days to come.

3. Leftovers to be delivered to the homeless.

4. No carpool for five days!

5. Time to spend reconnecting with family.

6. The warmth of a house, the beauty of the fall leaves, and the joy of knowing I am loved.

7. Turkey. I can go all "Bubba" from Forrest Gump about turkey: turkey pot pie, turkey sandwiches, turkey soup, turkey enchiladas....

8. Movie time! Whether it is at the theater or at the house, this is the time to break out the popcorn and tissues and enjoy a good laugh or cry.

9. Friday shopping with my sister-in-law, at a crazy-early hour, and the quality girl time I'll get with someone I adore.

10. The fact that Mom's Thanksgiving is daily, in Heaven, with my birth Mom and Grandmothers and Grandfathers.

11. The fact that a quote of 32 words can, literally, cause me to catch my breath, bring me to tears and heal me, all at the same time.

Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

12. Adopted babies coming to our street in the next several weeks!

13. My future daughters-in-law and the joy they will bring to our Thanksgiving meals.

14. Dad finding another "true love" and looking forward to being married next year.

15. Freedom in a country that allows me to worship God without prejudice.

16. My brother providing a wonderful home for his family and being a quiet man with a kind heart.

17. The Trinity and THE sacrifice, which is the greatest reason to be thankful that I can think of.

18. My in-laws, who allowed me to join their family and gave me the best gift in the world: Mike!!

19. Pecans and cherries which, when bathed in sugar and cradled in crust, make a wonderful dessert. Or snack. Or breakfast.

20. My wonderful family of friends, who have lifted me above my grief this year, placed me in the palm of God's hand with their prayers, and whom I love beyond words. 'Thank you' isn't adequate, but it is all I have.

21. The relative health our extended families enjoy and for the healing coming for those who are in a state of weakened health.

22. Mike's sister, who works daily to improve the lives of the kids she teaches and is a beacon for Christ and a source of joy to me.

23. My brother-in-law, who is one of the most sincere, kind people I know. And the most honest attorney you'd ever need to hire!

24. My birth Mother's family, who accepted me and made me feel right at home this year. Big hugs and kisses to all of you this day!

25. This blog, the writing outlet it provides, and the book that it is helping shape.

26. For YOU. Wonderful, awesome little you. The person who challenges me to write, causes me to want to continue to write, and who humbles me daily.

You are, quite simply, the best one God made!

Happy Turkey Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment