Monday, September 3, 2012

Facebook Posting

Two things I know:
1.  If you post something on Facebook, you care about it.
2.  If you claim not to care about it after people comment, it doesn't change number one.

We should all be more introspective before we post on Facebook.  Especially if we are writing about another person and are being less than complimentary about them. Because people can see right through our hurt feelings, even if they are covered with expletives and "I don't cares" and "I've moved on".

Fact is, we get hurt by other people all the time.  But we need to put on our big girl panties or big boy britches and mend fences, not just rant on Facebook.

As far as I can tell, Facebook ranting to "prove" we aren't affected by something that clearly hurt us hasn't done much more than cause more hurt feelings, an occasional (rightly so) job loss, and a more broken bridge to forgiveness.

So, the next time you feel like throwing up your emotions on Facebook, try this:
1.  Why do I care so vigorously that I'm willing to post this for the world to see?  Am I trying to get sympathy, support, or agreement without actually put work into solving the problem?

2.  What do I hope to accomplish by posting it?  Will it mend fences or continue breaking them down?

3.  Will the situation change if I post about it?  If not, why do it?

4.  What good will come out of sharing this?  If there is no good, or if bad could come of it, don't share.

5.  Am I angry at the person or people I am going to post about?  If yes, you need to have enough respect for the other person to speak directly to them, not out your grievances online. 

Just like we all need to be careful what our hands do, our eyes see, and our ears hear, we need to be careful what we post for the world to see.

3 comments:

  1. This is a piece that could be dropped right into Proverbs and not be at all out of place. Very inspired piece of writing, Jill, and one that shows the application of Christian virtue to new forms of human behavior and forms of social interactions enabled by technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FB is such a constant source of bad manners. There are truly times I could punt it to the curb forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally had to. I just couldn't take it anymore.

    ReplyDelete