Friday, October 8, 2010

Strange Computer Messages

When I sign in to one of my email accounts, the following message is displayed:

"Your friends haven't done anything new lately."

I find this statement vaguely reassuring and remotely disturbing, all in one breath.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with a mundane, scheduled, rather boring life. Truthfully, I haven't done anything new lately, either. Unless you consider cleaning bathrooms with a different type of wipe "new". Or finally figuring out that "AHA! That's what that odor is."

Then I wonder: Just exactly HOW does my computer KNOW that my friends haven't done anything new lately? Is it listening, watching, waiting for that allusive something to happen? Should I make sure and shut this thing down after I check Facebook on a Saturday night when love is in the air? GADS.

It's all a little too Orwellian for me. I couldn't get enough of 1984 in 1980. But, me thinks I have more than enough of it in 2010.

Good day, computer. I'm shutting you down for awhile.

Because I really don't want my friends to sign on and see the following (true) message "MommaJ was eating chocolate cookies at 8a.m."

No comments:

Post a Comment