Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Quite Quotable

Look not to the past but the future. The past is what we did wrong, but the future is a new beginning. - Nickels

Nickels wrote this on a post-it note the first week I home-schooled him in the Spring. At the time, it struck me as a "thank you" note for taking him out of a hostile school environment.

Now, I see so much more in this quote.

I'm reminded that God's mercy renews every morning. And, certainly, because I'm a sinner full of sin, I have need for God to see those wrongs from yesterday as "past" and allow me to move ahead to the "future" He has in store for me, not only into the new beginning of another day, but also the new beginning I'll have with Him in eternity.

Of course, being full of pride and arrogance and so many other traits that blind my heart, I don't always remember to stop and ask God to cleanse me. I don't ask for that restoration of our relationship through the act of confessing the things I've done wrong. But, patiently, God sits and waits for me to come to Him and "take care of business".

Patient and faithful don't even begin to describe what He's been with me. Even when I am anything BUT both of those with Him.

I really think God must have spoken these words into Nickel's heart. I know He speaks words into mine quite often and I'd love to think that my boy is getting a good head start on his Christian walk.

And, frankly, it's just really nice when we not only hear what God is saying, but can capture it for the world to see and hear.

Thank you, Nickels. If there's one thing I know, it's that your future is bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment