Tuesday, April 27, 2010

This is Dedicated to the One I Love

Mike. Mike. Mike. KSA. Birthday Boy. Forty year old birthday boy.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

1. I love that the biggest rebellion I can recall in our marriage is when you eat potato chips with salsa instead of using tortilla chips.

2. I love that you coach the kids in soccer and that kids from the teams you used to coach still want you back.

3. I love that you take care of the pool because you know that I would pour concrete in the hole if that became my duty.

4. I love that you are a committed Christian and my wing-man in Sunday School, even though you could be enjoying donuts and adult conversation in another classroom.

5. I love that you are the employee all your old bosses try to hire away from your newest boss. And I love that you are such a great employee that you don't run from company to company.

6. I love that you are confident enough in your own skills that you formed your own company.

7. I love that you still play soccer and that you give me play-by-play results when you get home from games.

8. I love that you say "I love you" to me and the boys several times a day.

9. I love that you are the best dancer I've ever met and that it surprises women who've known you for years when they see you on the dance floor.

10. I love that you are a committed Christian and that we pray together for our family.

11. I love that you are addicted to video games, especially Tumble Bugs.

12. I love that, when you see a Dairy Queen sign, you feel compelled to get a dip cone.

13. I love that you are addicted to BBQ sauce and eat it with everything.

14. I love that you hate liver & onions and fish but don't care if I make it for myself and the boys and prepare a different meal for you.

15. I love that, even though you sometimes feel a heavy burden as the man of the house, you do a superb job of being that man.

16. I love that you love movies, especially anything by M. Night Shyamalan (except that heinous movie "The Happening".)

17. I love that you could run circles around most people in math but that you ask me to calculate the tip when we got out for dinner.

18. I love that you have a great relationship with your Dad and Mom and that you still have weekly, and sometimes bi-daily, conversations with them.

19. I love that you were so nervous looking at engagement rings that you felt sick. And I love that you picked out the perfect one for me, anyway.

20. I love that you eat broccoli, even though you hate it, and chase every single bite with copious amounts of water.

21. I love that you are confident enough in your manhood that you'll eat quiche and fancy salad.

22. I love that you don't freak out every time I order my meat cooked medium-rare, even though you would never plate anything that was less than medium-well.

23. I love that you eat the fruit I consider under-ripe and leave the over-ripe stuff for me.

24. I love the way you are so easy-going and friendly and can carry on a conversation with just about anybody.

25. I love the fact that you care enough about our financial future that you watch how you spend money but don't think twice about the occasional haircuts and manicures I schedule.

26. I love that you are in charge of the big picture when it comes to our money and that you aren't offended that I feel our long-term money will only earn 8% when you see a sunny 12% on the horizon.

27. I love that you recognize my passion for picking worthy charities and sending them money and that you wholeheartedly support me in that endeavor.

28. I love that you laugh with me and, on occasion, cry with me. Ditto regarding the kids.

29. I love that, when you work late and you know I'm tired, you are extra careful not to wake me up when you come to bed.

30. I love that you want to run The Amazing Race with me.

31. I love that you wanted to meet my birth family and insisted on accompanying me on the trip. And I love that they loved you almost more than they loved me!

32. I love that you knew you loved me almost right from the start and that you were the first to say it!

33. I love that you were on board with having another baby when I was 39.

34. I love that you tease me about being a High School Senior when you were still in Junior High.

35. I love that you bring me flowers for no reason other than that you know I love them.

36. I love that you know that buying new cars is a ridiculous waste of money but that we continue to do it as a big "splurge" every few years because I really want new cars.

37. I love that you would have let me get cats, instead of dogs, if I had insisted.

38. I love that you aren't a heavy drinker, smoker, or cusser.

39. I love that you have fallen madly in love with the families who were in my life when you came along. It makes me smile that they consider you as much part of their family as they do me.

40. I love you so much more than words can say and I look forward to 40 more years of loving wonderful, kind, amazing you!

Have a great birthday, sweetheart!!!

WMD

No comments:

Post a Comment