Saturday, May 8, 2010

Seeing Red Because of Pink

Today, just by watching a little TV and going to Wallyworld*, I found out I can help cure breast cancer by buying a big, pink bucket of chicken or a large, honkin' box of granola bars.

Geez. If I'd known it was THAT easy, I'd be buying ALL the products with the pink ribbon on them.

That is, until I apply a little knowledge from living with someone who has cancer. Then I have to scratch my head and go "HUH?"

When you develop cancer, one of the first things to go is sugar. That pretty much excludes all the cereals, cereal bars, granola bars, gum/mints, and candy that advertise they support breast cancer research. It seems cancer cells like to gobble up sugar and use it for their evil purposes. So, buying something loaded with sugar to help cure cancer is, in a word, laughable.

You are also advised to be careful with oils. The more natural, the better. Unless chicken by the bucket is being fried in olive oil with no preservatives, I'm betting the neighborhood oncologist is not going to get behind this idea.

I guess what really bothers me about this form of "charity" is that it is so transparent. It's not really charity, it's advertising made to make us feel good/better about buying a product.

I would love to see a world where the likes of Target, KFC, General Mills, etc just donate because they think supporting breast cancer, Alzheimer's, or CF research is a great idea. Please, big giant companies, do that.

Just don't try to use a pink ribbon to try to con me.


*Wal-Mart, for those of you who don't listen to Sugarland or live in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment