Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sayings Passed Between Generations

Mike's Granddad had a charming saying, which he lavished on Mike's Grandmother routinely: "Damn woman".

I was never there to witness the exchange of loveliness, but I think it was multi-purpose...

1. "Damn, woman". Mighty impressed, as in "How the heck did you get Bessie to cough up that much milk in one sitting?"

2. "Damn woman". Mighty pissed, as in "How could you spend that much time getting ready? We're later than a queer steer to a heifer party."

3. "Damn woman". Mighty choked up, as in (tears welling in his eyes) "How did you know that that there John Deere tractor was the one I'd love?"

In any case, I get a "damn woman" every once in a blue moon from my sweet hubby. And it always cracks me up. And makes me wistful for times gone by.

Even though I never heard the phrase issue from his Granddaddy's mouth, somehow it just resounds with me. And it warms my heart that we're passing something on from one generation to the next.

Even if that something involves "PG" cussing.*


*No cuss words were injured in the writing of this post. However, writer has donated $5 to a worthy charity, in return for the plethora of cursing this writing involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment