Monday, November 30, 2009

Cliffs of Dover

Yesterday I heard the story about Julius Caesar forcing his army to move into battle. It seems they landed on an island (Britain, to be exact) and Caesar had the audacity to torch the ships they had just journeyed on. Then, he walked the group over to the cliffs to take a look at the burning lot of boats. Since there was no way of escape, the troops had but one choice: battle and conquer. So, they did.

I am standing on the Cliff of December. Looking out at my calendar, which looks like someone tattooed it with black ink. I could stand here and scream, but I'm taking the high-road, much like Caesar's troops after they realized they were totally screwed, and moving ahead and conquering.

There are Christmas cookies to be made, an Advent calendar to stock with small gifts, chemotherapy appointments to attend, parties to host and dentist appointments to make. There are also Children's Choir and community band performances to enjoy, pageants to participate in, airplanes to board and dogs to kennel.

Almost everything in December is fun stuff, mind you. But, it's just in large quantities. Kind of like the weight most people will gain during the month.

So, I'm taking a deep breath and plunging in. I hope, come January 1 I'm still standing.

If not, please get in your car and go to the store. Buy plenty of fruits and vegetables. Then bring them to me.

I understand they are a good counter defense against the sugar coma I will be in.

2 comments: