Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Worldly Education

Overheard on the way from Sunday School to the car this morning. Both older boys singing:

"These three kings of Orient are
trying to smoke a rubber cigar.
It was loaded; it exploded.
And that was the end of them."

Really? Where are they learning this stuff? I'm for the beatnik in all of us, but Christmas lyrics? Couldn't you just do your bestest Wierd Al Yankovic on some of the junk songs from the 90's? I mean, come on, rap has no where to go but UP.

Another example of "Where did you unearth THAT?": The babe, upon getting his shoes tied, throws his hand up into a "L" shape, against his forehead.

Figuring he had no idea what he was doing, and that he was copying some loser, I asked "What's that?"

"Oh, this? (Looking at his fingers) That's for LOSER."

"Was that for me?" I inquire.

"No."

"Then you best put it away if you want to go to your friend's house."

Case, and fingers, closed.

When these types of things rise up to the surface, I wonder "What's going on below that little person's skull that I'm NOT HEARING or SEEING?"

I'm sure, a lot. And, I'm probably better off not knowing. 'Cause if I'm patient enough, they usually spill the goods.

Of course, some of the nuggets they unleash are going to make singing at Christmas time a little harder. Especially if the loser in me accidentally forgets her place and subs lyrics during the Christmas Eve service.

At least there will be three "kings" in the audience who will get a big laugh out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment