Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hello, Gorgeous!

"Do you remember the 21st night of September
Love was changing the minds of pretenders
While chasing the clouds away."

If you haven't gotten your groove on with Earth, Wind and Fire lately, now is THE DAY. Log on to You Tube, search for "September", close the shades, and get down, get funky! I double dog dare you NOT to dance.

When September rolls around and August is but a distant memory*, I start fantasizing about Fall. I am all about Fall. Who could be against a season filled with cooler weather, longer sleep periods and FOOD?

When I think about all the things I love about Fall, I think, "HEY! I was really supposed to be a BEAR! I have the extra chubbiness, love salmon, and think there is nothing better than a good nap. Hibernation, frankly, sounds excellent."

But, since I'm no Yogi, I'll stay in the present and get thinking about all the good things I'm looking forward to:

1. brisk air in the morning when I first open the door to let the dogs out.
2. watching the leaves turn different colors and gracefully dance to their new homes on the ground.
3. the first whiff of a fireplace in the neighborhood being used.
4. finally being able to wear my winter slippers around the house without being questioned by the neighbor kids, who wonder aloud, "Mrs. Nowell? WHAT are you WEARING?"

Fall food? In a word: GLORIOUS! Funnel cakes at the State Fair, Chili pie at football games, Halloween candy**, Thanksgiving pies, homemade Christmas candy and cookies. Good gracious, I'm gaining weight just typing this!

August around here is supposed to end with a rather cool day for Dallas--highs in the upper 80's. That is close enough to Fall weather for me. I'll be breaking out sweaters and leggings next week, at least in my mind.

For today, though, I'll be breaking into my best 70's R&B funk, complete with singing and getting in the groove. Maybe it will make Fall come FASTER?!

"Ba de ya - say do you remember?
Ba de ya - dancing in september?
Ba de ya - never was a cloudy day?"

Yeah Fall!


*Read: on the first of September, in my failing mind, August IS a distant memory.

**This may be my only annoyance about Fall: stores have this cockamamie idea that we should start celebrating Halloween in August, Thanksgiving in September, and Christmas in October. Can't we just leave the holidays where they belong??

2 comments:

  1. Start Christmas in October? I thought we started already in July! That's when I saw the first Christmas merchandise in Hobby Lobby. American Evangelicals have thrown out the church calendar in their churches, and they are left trying to fill the void via Hallmark and perpetual sales.

    Anyway, thanks for this inspiring post. You have me ready for Fall as well! Of course, it'll be YOUR fault now if we have another heat wave before Summer finally draws to its official close on Sept 21 (the autumnal equinox - I love that phrase!!). ;-)

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hobby Lobby IS so funny about Christmas. My impression is that they think that we Christians NEED ornaments and other paraphenalia practically year-round. Why don't they just rename themselves Hobby Lobby/Perpetual Christmas Store??? I was more referring to the Targets and Walmarts of the world.
    And, if it gets hot, I'm blaming Al Gore. Stupid Global Warming..... :)

    ReplyDelete