Sunday, September 20, 2009

Bedtime Routines

Last night I made the rounds to the boy's bedrooms. At each, I had to obey the "rules" of the boy's routine. Most nights I'm too tired to remember my marching orders, so I have to watch reactions to see what I'm "supposed" to do.

My oldest doesn't want to be kissed on the lips anymore. I usually remember this when I bend down to him because he reacts the same way women do when they've had a date with a nice guy to whom they aren't attracted: they offer the cheek*. He's, thankfully, still all about the hugs.

Then we went through this little exercise
ME "You know I love you, right?"
"Yeah."
ME "How do you know?"
(Giggling and acting a little embarrassed) "I don't know. I just know."

I didn't push it. I figured this was like trying to explain all the ways I know God loves me--it's an overwhelming list and I wouldn't know where to start.

My middle guy still kisses me on the lips and gives big hugs. Instead of getting all this love from the bottom bunk, he has graduated to reaching down to me from the top bunk. It's kind of like getting love from a giraffe, without that obnoxiously long, black tongue and/or drool. It somewhat freaks me out because I so buy into that theory that broken arms are a natural result of falling from the top bunk to the floor. So, we make it quick.

Exercise #2
ME "You know I love you, right?"
"Yes I do."
ME "How do you know?"
"Because you tell me all the time."

I like people who are straight to the point and shoot from the hip.

The Babe is waiting on bedroom furniture, so he is on a mattress on the floor. I kind of fall gracelessly onto the bed every night. The Babe loves to snuggle and gives lots of kisses and very long hugs.

He would be glad to have Mom or Dad sleep with him every night. When you lie down with him for even a few minutes, he basically smothers you with his arms and puts himself in a position of being face-to-face with you. Claustrophobic for me and BIG incentive to make sure his teeth are properly brushed.

Exercise #3
ME "You know I love you, right?"
"UH HUH."
ME "How do you know?"
"Because it was on the Internet."

Glory be! A four-year-old Internet surfer. Just the thought got me chuckling. The Babe had no idea why this was funny, but he repeated it to Daddy and got another laugh. I'm sure we'll be hearing so much more about the Internet from him now.

As long as it is all "G" rated, includes no potty talk or references to female body parts, I'm cool.


*The Northern cheek, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment