Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Anchor

Of all the lessons Kelly Minter taught me last weekend, I think the visual of God as an anchor will stick with me the longest.

In Hebrews 6:19 we read "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."  Kelly led us to visualize an anchor, thrown over the edge, deep below a boat.  That anchor serves to allow the boat to remain in one spot but, simultaneously, float freely and not be tethered too tightly.

This is what God does for us:  He anchors us, so we are free to rest without worrying about the wind and the waves.  He anchors us, but with just enough tension that we can move around in confidence, yet move of our own accord (the Baptist in me calls this "free will").  His anchor is like a rocking cradle:  it is soothing, reassuring, and comforting.

I praise the Lord for giving Kelly this verse to share with us.  I praise Him for never pulling up His anchor on me and for giving me short and long lines of rope along the way.  I praise Him for being a God who helps us know we need an anchor.

In the words of the amazing Chris Tomlin song:
There's a peace I've come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an anchor for my soul
I can say "It is well"


It is well, indeed.  Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment