Saturday, September 28, 2013

When Harry Met Christ

If you have known me for more than a few weeks and we've ever had a conversation about movies, you'll know that it is no secret that I can quote lines from when "When Harry Met Sally".  Above almost every other movie on this planet, the dialogue, storyline, and quirky romance speak to me.

The line that always leaves me teary-eyed, no matter how many times I re-watch it, is one of the last from the movie, when Harry declares his love for Sally:

"I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."


What gets me about these lines is the intimacy they convey.  Harry has paid such close attention to Sally that he understands things about her that would drive other people crazy.  He has looked at her so intentionally that he recognizes her facial expressions.  He knows what he wants, and Harry wants Sally, with all her faults and oddities.


Most women look for a man who will look at her like this;  who will see the good, the bad, and the ugly in her and still say "She is the one".  That's the stuff of romance.


What's not the stuff of romance, but is the stuff of reality, is that Christ looks at us this very same way.  He know our bodies so intimately that he knew them from before they were being formed;  He knows the number of hairs on our heads and the number of freckles on our face.


He knows our like and dislikes.  Every.single.one.of.them.


He can read our body language and mannerisms and responses before we even have a clue what we were thinking, feeling, or projecting.


He dearly loves to walk alongside us and commune with us on a daily basis, but He is also the ultimate gentleman, allowing us to decide when we will ask Him along on our journey.  He loves to talk with us more than anything in the world, if we'll stop our busy lives to involve Him.


He's never lonely, but he longs for us.  Time is unimportant on his eternal calendar, yet He knows the number of our days and conspires with us to help us live them for Him.


Mostly He wants us to accept Him by saying "YES!".  He wants to build us a Heavenly home and live with Him eternally.  He wants our forever with Him to start as soon as possible.  


Romantic guy, isn't He, our Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment