Friday, May 17, 2013

Repaying Kindness

Over the years I have been in many conversations regarding the goodness of people.  From the homeless, to people at the churches we've attended, to the person behind me in line, people have very distinct opinions about how others have treated them, which leads them to generalize about how the population treats one another.

I tend to run toward the Pollyanna version of people because, despite what the media wants me to believe, their "overwhelming evidence" to the contrary, I still see people as striving to assist others, do the right thing, and generally be good citizens.

In reading this article, I felt a great deal of reassurance that my viewpoint of people is not lacking.  At least for this man-customer, there is a need to fulfill his obligations, repay kindness, and be an upstanding citizen who won't let a good deed go unnoticed.

Quite fittingly, he remains completely anonymous.  And the restaurateur, still as generous as he was all those years ago, is still giving of himself, offering a free glass of wine if only this stranger will return to his restaurant.

This is the filter through which I choose to see the world.  This is love in action: people carrying each other's burdens, being kind when it isn't warranted, and repaying kindness even when there is no expectation.  This is the goodness that I know God intended for our world.

This is the kindness of Heaven, come to Earth.

Thank you, Lord, for rays of hope in the midst of darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment