Friday, December 21, 2012

Budding Artists

I am guilty of chucking art projects after staring at them for about 20 seconds.  Think Clark Griswold in the movie "Vacation" staring at the Grand Canyon.  Yup.  A couple of quick knee bends and I'm outta there.  I guess you could say I don't put forth much effort to encourage the inner Rembrandt in my boys.

It's not that I don't appreciate art.  It's just that there seems to be so.darn.much.of.it, especially in those early years.  So, the easiest thing for me has been to appreciate the work in the moment, encourage discussion (so I know what the heck I'm looking at), then set the piece lovingly to the side, where it will be forgotten in a couple of days and I can bury it at the bottom of the trash can where no one, especially the creative genius, will discover it.

Sure, call me a bad Mom, if you like.  But I bet I'm not the only one who a) does this or b) wishes she had thought of doing it or c) wishes she had the ovaries to do it.

So, imagine my complete delight in finding the website artkiveapp.com, a site designed to allow you to share artwork online, save it, and make memory books.

Literally, you snap a picture of the project, store it, then download the pictures, at your leisure, to create a book.  Easy peasy.  Add to that absolutely, positively, no guilt that you are getting rid of the original.  SWEET!  (Pretty soon you'll even be able to create mugs and other items featuring your budding artist's designs.)

If you are inclined, check them out.  Who knows?  Maybe even yours truly will become less of an art Scrooge as a result of this app. 

No comments:

Post a Comment