Monday, May 21, 2012

What Was She Wearing?

1.  Please/Thank you
2.  I love you
3.  I'm Sorry
4.  Please forgive me
5.  May I?
6.  Amen
7.  You are forgiven
8.  Let me ask my parents
9.  No thank you
10.  Yes/No Ma'am/Sir

Call me old-fashioned.  Call me Southern.  Call me whatever you like. But, I think some of these phrases are sorely missing from our society.  And, I think it is time we brought them back.

I was shocked into writing this when I saw a replay of the American Music Awards on the 6am news.  When Miley Cyrus walked out looking as though she was channeling Sharon Stone from Basic Instinct, less a bra, I thought "What the heck has our society come to?"

I didn't want to see a barely legal girl showing off almost everything God gave her.  That is rude to me and rude to God and rude to her own self.  But, mostly, it shows her lack of maturity in the matter.  And that got me wondering if she had an upbringing that emphasized the basic courtesies.   

Now, this isn't a post about Miley, so let's leave her back on stage wearing next to nothing and focus on the real issue at hand:  the ten phrases above.

These sayings show a maturity on the part of the person speaking, or a degree of respect toward the person spoken to, or deference to a third party.  They demonstrate a good upbringing.  They aren't culturally bound; they are property of people everywhere and should be used liberally.

Over the next few days, I'm going to expound on each of these as the Holy Spirit moves me, starting with please and thank you.

So, if you please, I would thank you to return tomorrow to see what I've written.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment