Friday, May 25, 2012

Thank You!

"Thank you.  No, thank YOU."  If you are as old as I am, don't you remember watching the British-accented "goofy gophers", Mac and Tosh, who were always on the top of their politeness game?

I'm not sure if it was the charming accent, the fact that they were so darn cute, or that they were the only Looney Tunes characters that weren't into blowing up stuff and killing other characters, but I always liked them. In a sea of meanness, they stood out.

And in a world that does its best to be crude, mean, sarcastic and the like, the phrase "thank you" is a balm for the weary soul.

I learned, years ago from a good friend of mine, to say "thank you" to cashiers after they give me a total for my purchases.  It costs me nothing, doesn't hold up the line, and is a way of extending a little joy and gratitude into an otherwise pretty thankless job.

My friend, after being the person behind the register, thought it was the least she could do for others.  And I, thinking this was a pretty awesome way of being kind, adopted her politeness and have used it ever since.  It is amazing to watch the faces of pretty bored, unhappy, ready-to-be-home employees soften, smile, and otherwise change with a simple, unexpected act of gratitude.

That's what "thank you" does.  It changes people.  It reminds them that they've done a service for you that you appreciate.  For the person on the receiving end, it is a reminder that their work isn't in vain.

I am all in favor of thanking other people.  I write thank you notes at the drop of a hat.  But, I realize I don't thank God as quickly as I thank people.

I'm not sure if it is because the world focuses so much on ingratitude and I've adopted that stance.  Or, because God isn't physically present, that it is easier to forget to thank Him.  Or if I just don't take the time.

But, regardless of where I'm at, when was the last time you thanked God for the daily?  For the food in front of you, the hands that prepared it, the farmer who grew it, the person who transported it, for the rain and sun that made the growth possible?

For the clothing we take for granted, in sizes that compliment our body type, in colors that look good against our skin tone?
For the cars that run on roads that are (mostly) smooth and easy to navigate with GPS systems that don't fail?
For children who don't have to worry about gangs in their neighborhood and criminals breaking down doors after midnight and kidnappers who would sell them to evil?

So many of us are afforded all these things by the grace of God.  Yet, so often, we don't find ourselves in a place of gratitude.  We complain when we can't find the perfect little black dress or our cars aren't the latest model or our GPS isn't updated or our children want a birthday party that isn't in the budget.

I challenge you today to find three things that you are thankful for in three different categories:  family, strangers, and God. When you know what those three things are, take the time to use the words "thank you" with an explanation of WHY you are grateful.  If appropriate, let your kids "accidentally" witness you showing your gratitude.  They do, after all, learn by example.

Like giving, thank you has a boomerang effect:  the more you give, the more you get.

So, start today.  And try to find a kernel of gratitude in your everyday.  Rotate around family members and start thanking them, on a daily basis, for their contributions to life.  Even something as simple as your kids brushing your teeth after being told once will leave an impression!

If you are mega-inspired, I would highly suggest the book "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voscamp.  Mrs. Voscamp has an uncanny ability to find thankfulness in the ordinary, the painful, and the downright unfair.

But, regardless, get out there and start your thank you now.  I sincerely doubt you will ever regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment