Tuesday, March 13, 2012

If it looks like fruit and smells like fruit...

it must be from God. That was my revelation this morning during the post-time-change sermon. 

The cute, young priest* was subbing for Bishop this morning.  And, shaking things up by starting his sermon on a political note and discussing the upcoming election.  I do love when I get direction on things of this earth from a man of God.

But, what I love even more is that my church will give me a high-level view of politics but stop short of WHO I should vote for by reminding me that, regardless of who wins...Democrat, Republican, Independent...God is still in charge.  And He is bigger than all this Washington stuff.

Instead, we were directed to look at this election and determine whose platform produces fruit, as in the Fruit of the Spirit.  Because, we can know if a political belief is good or evil by its fruit.

That really gave me pause.  Sure, I have a list of hurdles my candidates need to jump over.  But, if I really look at each issue and at the life of the candidates and I determine if those things are fruitful, I wonder what I will come up with?

Maybe that person I thought was really right won't be.  Maybe that person I thought was so wrong won't be.  I'm not sure.  But, it is a different perspective that I think will be good to apply.

How about you?  Are you looking at your candidates through a Biblical filter?  Are you attempting to align your values with your vote?  Sure, it's not perfect, but nothing on this earth ever is.

Determining who to vote for just became a bit easier for me.  And defending my choice of candidate and why I am not voting for others has also become a bit less daunting.  Because, truly, if I am standing on the word to determine the best (mind you, not the perfect) choice then I am following Christ into the voting booth.

And isn't that better then following anyone else?


*I don't feel remotely bad about saying that.  If it freaks you out, let me add that his younger wife is just precious and wildly pregnant.  Their youngest looks like he should model.  In that family, there is lots of adorable to go around.  And I am extremely happy they share their lives with our church!

No comments:

Post a Comment