Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I'm Digging the Duggars

My Yahoo Mail opened to the home page story that the Duggars had made a "startling" announcement on the Today show yesterday.  Intrigued, I clicked to see the news.

Turns out that, after the miscarriage of their 20th baby Jubilee, they are open to God allowing Michele to get pregnant again.

What is so "startling" about that?  They've already birthed 19!  And, they've made no bones about never using birth control.

This is clearly a family who takes care of themselves.  They've never once sucked a penny off the public coffers.  They've clearly raised children who are respectful and hard-working.  They've instilled values, including the supreme importance of God and family, in all of their kids.

And, for that?  They've been criticized to the bone.

Personally, stopping at three made a whole lotta sense.  When I realized I didn't have enough hands to correct all of my kids simultaneously?  We immediately put the kibosh on trying for a fourth.*  More than one or two children may be one-or-two-too-many for some, but it was perfect for us.

Yet, apparently Ann Curry had an opinion, and it didn't match the L.O.V.E. printed at the bottom of her dress.  If her body language were given voice, her cross-armed, smirky interview would have said "YOU ALL ARE BAT-SHIESSE CRAZY".** 

A miscarriage is a miscarriage.  Losing a baby, even after countless pregnancies, is still a loss.  Even if you disagree with the Duggar's philosophy of creating enough children to double the population of some small, West Texas town, you should be sensitive to that.

And, if you haven't had enough fun with the drama yet, just hold onto your hat:  Jim Bob and Michele were ALONE IN NEW YORK ON VALENTINE'S NIGHT.  Surely, that meant a little more than hand-holding and a nice dinner out.  According to my calendar, Duggar number 21 should arrive in early December.

If that isn't a fitting Christmas gift for the entire clan, I don't know what is.



*And, no.  My third pregnancy was NOT an attempt to have a girl.  If I had a dime for every time I was asked that inane question....

**And calling Jim Bob "Trouble?"  Really?  If I had been Michele, I might have found my left hook coming in handy.  Instead, as usual, she responded with laughter and grace.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE me some Duggars...:) People are ignorant and frightened by what they don't understand. We don't use BC either and can understand where they are coming from. It is a challange when you have 3 little ones 5 and under and "counting"...but it gets easier each passing day a they help out with meals, laundry, dressing selves, brushing teeth, setting table, putting away groceries....yes we run a tight ship but it allows us to be able to train and correct our children in a Godly manner

    ReplyDelete