Monday, January 9, 2012

Christmas Lessons

Knowledge I gained, Christmas 2011:

1.  Kids DO check to see how many gifts are under the tree and they DO compare gifts with those received by their siblings.

I thought my Mom was full of hooey on this one but, clearly, The Babe is the golden child because his three gifts trumped his brothers' two by about a million miles.  I felt compelled to scream gently explain that the entire budget for one of the boys was eaten up with his ONE big gift request and, had Mom not been a REALLY savvy shopper, that gift number two would still be at the store.

This year?  Not changing a dang thing.  My kids (except The Golden Child) are old enough to understand what a budget is and I will be reminding them of that when their gums start flapping about wanting a Ferrari.  If they choose a gift that gobbles up half their Christmas gift budget, fine. 

Just don't stick your lip out Christmas morning or I might just slap it back in place.

2.  The Advent Calendar is a great family activity that promotes daily reading of scripture about Christ's birth. However, the little trinket gifts that accompany our A.C. have become a beat down of epic proportions.

Since I budget about a dollar a day for these little beauties, it is difficult to find decent stuff.  Add to that fact that the dollar bins at Michaels have gone up to $1.50* and I am seriously thinking about doing activity driven gifts this coming season.

Truly, the focus of the calendar is to remember the reason for the Christmas season.  Somehow, it has become a "what do I get next?" activity.

Time for a HUGE revamp, me thinks.  Your suggestions/comments are welcome.

3.  No matter your best intentions, it is virtually impossible to under-schedule December.

We started with the premise that we have two annual events in the month:  a mission's party and Hooman's birthday.

To that, I added a baptism/brunch for The Babe, two out-of-town trips to visit/celebrate Christmas with family, one weekend family celebration that included house guests.

Others added Christmas Chapel, school parties, and dinner parties.

By the end of the month, our calendar had at least one seasonal activity that someone in the house had to participate in on TWELVE of the thirty-one days.  That was outside the "normal" routine of our lives:  homework, final exams, karate, church, etc.

Crazy, crazy, butt crazy.  Great times and great memories, but just a bit over-the-top during a time when most people are trying to slow down and enjoy a few moments of quiet, family time.

A friend of mine suggested she had left one weekend blank in the month.  I couldn't figure out how in Sam Hill I could make that happen, but that is my stretch goal for twenty twelve.

4.  If you anticipate Santa Claus not being part of your life in the coming year, make sure you get one last, great photo with your fav SC.

When I am in a really creative mood, I'm going to find each of the twelve pictures I have with Santa and the boys and put them all in a huge picture frame, to be hung each Christmas.

I just LOVE going to see Santa.  There is a part of me that wants to sit in his lap and shove the boys to the side because I BELIEVE!

I love the story of the patron saint.  I love the idea of giving to others anonymously, which is the Big Guy's Job.  I love making other people smile until their cheeks hurt.  I love, love, love everything about Santa.

And I just want to hug him every time I see him.  And, yes, I cried at the end of Arthur Christmas when Arthur's heart and good intentions beat out Steve.

So, I'm going to need those pictures to keep myself from driving to Northpark and sitting on Santa's lap by myself.  And being labeled some middle-aged, insane woman from the burbs.

Sure, seeing Santa is one part of our Christmas routine that is both an exercise in patience and a time suck.  But, if I could somehow keep The Babe ignorant for one more year, I'd be thrilled.

Viva la Santa 2012!


*That price increase blew my mind.  Somehow, if I want to treat someone to a little something, spending a buck is totally cool.  But, a buck fifty?  Outrageous!  Why is that?

1 comment:

  1. As far as the Advent calander goes...we also made an Advent chain this year. Just out of construction paper rings and a stapler. On each ring I would write an activity for the day. Such as "hot cocoa", "make sugar cookies", "visit Grandma and Grandpa", "Greenfield Village", "donate toys",bake cookies for neighbors" " make cross ornaments with popsicle sticks... This worked out pretty great. The kids looked forward to seeing what was on the link every am.

    I like esp when we do things for others. There is nothing sweeter than seeing my 6 yr old son take the boxes of cookies and put them in his Radio Flyer wagon and then hook it up to his John Deere tractor(pedal version) and drive it around the cul de sac....we don't do Santa really, but in recent years he would wear a Santa hat! Just some ideas. I don't like clutter or junky $1 store stuff so I tend to like to plan activities or bake and of course some crafts.

    ReplyDelete