Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Recipe to Be Ultra-Thankful For

I pondered doing the usual "I'm thankful for these things" type post, but, frankly, I feel like hammered poop at the moment (fighting what seems to be a head cold) and I'm not really in that kind of mood.

In fact, I'd probably lose readership if you saw my list because it all has to do with what's coming out of my nose (or not), my current inability to move fast enough to get Thanksgiving ready before bedtime because I'm moving like a sloth, and general whinyness since all I want to do is curl up next to the cat, under five blankets, and sleep while Bob purrs to keep me company.

SIGH.

So, instead, I'm going to share the recipe that I fervently pray will be the beginning of my road to recovery.

Now, you'll have to brace yourself for the name. It ain't pretty. But, by-golly-by-gosh, is it good.

Just think happy thoughts and go make TURKEY CARCASS SOUP.* This is courtesy of the GOOD FOOD BOOK, subtitled Living the High-Carbohydrate Way, by Jane Brody.

Any woman who would encourage me to eat high-carbs, in my opinion, is worth her weight in gold.

First, start with the STOCK
1 turkey carcass, broken into pieces (if you aren't cooking the turkey this year, pretend you are taking your hostesses' poultry carcass to the trash and detour to the car with it.)
Any defatted pan juices or gravy that may be left over
12 cups (or more) water, enough to cover the carcass
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
2 ribs of celery, diced, with leaves if possible
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced well-washed leek (optional--I've never used)
1/2 cud diced turnip (again, never used)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt, if desired
Bouquet garni, made by tying in cheesecloth (OK, cheap alert: I use a cone-shaped coffee filter that I place the spices in, fold down like a bandanna, and pull to the side to tie. Works perfectly every time.): 6 sprigs fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes, 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves and 1 bay leaf


Combine all the ingredients in a large pot, bring the stock to a boil, and simmer it, partially covering the pot for 2-3 hours. This stock tastes better the longer it simmers, as long as you don't cook away the liquid.

Strain the stock and skim off the fat (suggestion: use a colander to grab the chunky pieces and allow the stock to cool before skimming.)

Remove all the bones, and, if desired, reserve any pieces of turkey meat. Discard the bouquet garni and bay leaf. In a blender or food processor, puree the remaining vegetables in a cup of the stock and save the mixture for another soup or for flavoring a stew or sauce.

Now for the SOUP portion of our program...
2 Tablespoons minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon butter, oil, or margarine
1 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms (I always increase this)
1.5 Tablespoons flour
6 to 7 cups turkey stock (from above)
1 teaspoon marjoram
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup cooked barley or rice OR 1/ 3 cup raw barley or rice (lazy cook alert: use the raw)
1 cup diced, cooked turkey meat
Dash hot pepper sauce or to taste (optional)
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley (optional--have never used)

In a large saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in the butter, oil or margarine until they are soft.

Add the carrots, celery, and mushrooms, and cook the vegetables, stirring them, 3-5 minutes longer.

Add the floor and cook the mixture, stirring it, for another minute.

Add the stock, marjoram, salt/pepper, and barley/rice. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover the pan, and simmer the soup for about 1 hour.

Add the turkey meat and hot sauce, adjust the seasonings, and heat the soup to boiling.

Sprinkle with parsley just before serving.

Just typing this recipe as I smell the stock cooking has made me thankful.

Have a wonderful holiday with whomever is at your table.


*If you are cheap, like me, this is actually reason for a happy dance. It blends delicious food with wasting nothing off the bird. Great stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment