Friday, November 4, 2011

I Can't Take It Anymore

If I were unemployed (which I am, incidentally, by choice), I would be doing one of two things with my day:

1. Gaining skills necessary to return to the workplace in which I was hoping to continue my career.
2. Sending out resumes, meeting with contacts, and attending interviews.

And, I'd be praying, asking people to pray for me, and praying some more.

If I realized I needed to gain some skills, I would seek out the proper educational channels, do paid/unpaid internships, or work on my skills in arenas where I could perfect them (teachers can teach Sunday School, nurses can volunteers hours at the local hospital, carpenters can build a Habitat house, etc.)

In some way, I would be working to improve my situation and my self. By doing so, I would put myself into a position to run across people would see my drive, appreciate my skills, and either hire me or suggest someone who could.

If I already had a great resume but needed others to recognize me, I'd work on my interviewing skills, attending interviews for jobs that I might otherwise not consider, just for the practice. By doing this, I just might get myself in front of someone who would have the knowledge base to match my skills with available jobs at the company.

I would tap every human being I've ever said "Hi!" to and ask for their help. I'd make phone calls, send emails, text, be on Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin.

I would, in essence, become the Mary Kay representative with the nerve to approach other people in the grocery store to see if they would be interested in a free makeover*: I would talk with everyone, everywhere I went.

I would be praying for a door or doors to open. I would be praying for doors to shut. I would be praying I would be open to criticism from those who interview me and listening for essential skills to add to my resume. I would be praying for the people who are praying for me.

In short, I'd be working to find work.

What I wouldn't be doing: sitting in the midst of a park or a sidewalk or a grassy knoll, camping, with a bunch of other people who have NO COMMON PURPOSE other than to throw a gigantic pity party and whine and gripe about how hard life is.

You will never find a job sitting on your butt waiting for someone to smile down on you and provide what you aren't willing to work for.


Folks, if you surround yourself with people who are losing, you are going to lose. When those around you don't have the capacity to improve your lot in life, you get yourself stuck in a pit with them.

Man up, Occupiers. You can camp AFTER you've found a job. You can have a love-in over the weekends, when you are gainfully employed. You can vote your conscience in the next election or, better yet, run for office.

But, what you can't do is sit on your rear end, day after day, week after week, and expect that you are going to be able to afford the house you wish to obtain, the car you want to drive, or the vacation you wish to take. That takes money and money follows work.

Stop listening to the lies. Pick up your sleeping bag and go home. Join the rest of working society that understands that life IS hard at times, but that doesn't mean you throw in the towel, stick out your bottom lip, and refuse to move forward.

It's time to move on, people.


*She's the one with the pink Caddy in the parking lot because she WORKS at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment