Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Bookish, Part Deux

I dedicate this post to all the teenage boys who didn't understand me growing up. Thanks for ignoring me so I could read and become the woman I am today. Your lack of attention was the wind beneath my wings.

And to all the young, bookish girls out there who are currently being ignored: KEEP READING! Boys will come and go, but good books will always be there for you.

__________________________________________________

You're back?

Wow. Must be hungover from that vaca I took you on yesterday. So sorry.

Anyway, here's the rest of my shopping/must get book advice. Or, maybe, better said "Books I may/may not know are good/horrible but might peak your interest." And, "Don't blame me if you hate what I haven't read. Or have. Just don't blame me."

Wild at Heart (John Eldredge)
Progress Meter: not started
Someone told me, years ago, this was the key to figuring out my husband. Not sure I need a book to tell me "Feed him good food and make sure you have sex with him", but OK.

The Letter to the Romans (William Barclay)
Progress Meter: not started
This is a hard back book we found at Dad's house when we cleaned out "Mom's" craft room. I am a sucker for Paul, so I claimed it and quickly discovered why: There is a picture of me, in a bikini, walking toward my Mother when I was almost one year old. That incriminating evidence had to be contained!

Not sure when/if I'll read this one. But that picture is living proof that I did, way back when, have a bikini-worthy body.

The Power of a Praying Wife (Stormie Omartian)
Progress Meter: read once, feel the need to read again at the moment
I wish I had happened upon this book in my mid-twenties because I would have given it as a gift to every bride-to-be in existence. All forty-thousand of you whose weddings I attended, that is.

I don't think we wives can overemphasize the positive impact we can have on our husbands through prayer. And, Mrs. Omartian drives that point home in a mighty way.

If you are so inclined, there is an entire franchise around this premise of praying for your wife, kids, etc.

Party Mix (Karol K. Ladd)
Progress Meter: thumbed through and decided it needed a good look later
A friend actually gave me this book since she was done with it and it looks like a great place for inspiration from a local Mom-cum-author.

If you're throwing a shin-dig, I've got the book! Give me a jingle.

Choosing to SEE (Mary Beth Chapman)
Progress Meter: not started
This was a very thoughtful gift from my sister-in-law after Mom died, but I haven't been able to open it for practical and emotional reasons. Mrs. Chapman is married to Steven Curtis, of Christian singing fame, and theirs was the young daughter who was accidentally run over in the driveway of their house by their teenage son.

A tragedy of that proportion practically begs to be written to help others with this type of enormous grief. I'm just not ready to get that perspective quite yet.

The Five Languages of Apology (Gary Chapman/Jennifer Thomas)
Progress Meter: not started
This is my newest book, courtesy of a gift card to Amazon.com. In ordering it, I realized that five is a reoccurring theme to authors (see The 5 Love Needs), so I'm guessing one of the ways to apologize is to feed your husband while having sex.

Truthfully, my life has been on a trajectory of forgiveness for quite a bit now, and this book just grabbed my attention when I heard the authors discussing it on the radio. I'm very excited to start it. And, not just because it should totally give credence to breakfast in bed.

Overcoming Emotions that Destroy (Chip Ingram/Dr. Becca Johnson)
Progress Meter: 1/6 through and can't wait to find to time to continue
Purchasing this book was the best thing I did after finishing Ingram's Invisible War. I didn't even know the subtitle until the book was in the house (courtesy of another gift card): "Practical Help for Those Angry Feelings That Ruin Relationships". When I read that title, I started to sweat because I didn't realize anyone was following my life to gather information to write a book on this topic.

The biggest help built into this book is a series of reflection questions, deep questions, at the end of every chapter. Those are what have slowed me down, but in a very, very good way. I don't want to skim this book; I want to ingest it, word by word, so it really takes up residence in my soul.

Wild Things (Stephen James and David Thomas)
Progress Meter: 1/4 through and just read more over Thanksgiving
You know that book on raising kids that should have come out with the after birth? This is it, if you are raising boys. This book will make you feel normal again.

Subtitled "the art of nurturing boys", this book is full of practical information on all things boy during several stages of their lives. Especially if you are still in the sub-five-year-old category, this book is a must. It will help you appreciate your testosterone-filled bundle(s) of joy.

The Soul of a Business (Tom Chappell)
Progress Meter: not started
This was a freebie, courtesy of Tom's of Maine (the company), because I participate with them in focus groups online.

I'm interested to read this book because the company makes such great products that I want to understand the man (Tom) behind the Tom's. He has grown from a small shop to a multi-million (?billion) dollar business and not let a huge conglomerate mess up the stuff that makes his products tick. I am interested to know how that is done.

I've just noticed that my book shelf is not only full, but also decidedly dusty. In this house, that's just fodder for dust bunnies, but since we are entertaining soon, I best go tackle the dirty work.

Enjoy reading, peeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment