Friday, September 9, 2011

Balance

It seems that the transition to sixth-grade, with preparation for junior high being in every lesson plan, is a monumentally difficult task for many kids.

And, as luck would have it, Nickels isn't being spared in the slightest. 

With all my anal-retentive, list-making abilities, you would think the nut would fall close to the tree.  NYET.

Our sweet, slightly hyperactive, "which way is the shortcut" son, wants nothing to do with a planner.  If a three-hour project has a deadline past the morning?  He wants to forget about it until the night before.  And, all at the same time, keep up with competitive Taekwondo and two-practices, one-game a week football.

Can you tell what's winning here?  Hint:  it's not the school work.

Even with the best teacher's instructions ("You might see failure and push back and tears") and follow-through on said directions ("Stay on top of him and double check everything on his planner"), stuff is STILL falling through the cracks.

Now, if it were for lack of ability or poor instruction or the onset of narcolepsy, I'd be all "Time to slack off and ask the teachers to do the same."  But, none of these issues can be claimed.  So, we're back to the original teacher's instructions and one unhappy, "Why do I have SO MUCH HOMEWORK?" son.

Granted, last year, homework was rendered an antiquated word.  Projects were few and far between.  So, I think we aren't the only ones with massive growing pains.

But, still, in the midst of the meltdown, with the dinner hour slowly fading to dark, and bedtime not too far behind, I still have to scream a "WHY????"

My fervent prayer is that this is the growing pain my boy will need to be a success not only this year, but in the years to come and over the course of his life as a whole.

I pray he grasps the lessons of "once prepared, forever done" instead of "once skimmed over, once failed".

I pray he doesn't get bogged down in the movement it is going to take for him to take his planner seriously.  Or in the mire of me saying "You have to write things down!" for the umpteenth time.*

Above all, I hope God plants the seed of wisdom in Nickels this year.  A seed that sprouts into understanding all the "whys" behind what the school and his parents and the church are doing to help prepare him for manhood.

I'm not sure I could ask more than that.  Except, maybe, for patience for his Momma and Daddy.

And for the invention of a diet wine.

*Even though it is directed at Fathers, I take Ephesians 6:4 seriously: Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. I feel as if you live at my house. This post brought me to tears that SOMEONE ELSE is dealing with this! I've felt like a someone stranded on a desert island with no help in sight. I literally spent 10 minutes last night praying over my sleeping boy asking for God to help me help him and not break his spirit in the process.

    Thank you for posting this.

    Oh, and the diet wine comment? I laughed out loud. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle between posting things I think might embarrass the boys and allowing others to see that Mommyhood ain't a bed of roses.

    I can tell you that, if you are having an issue with your kid, someone else is having the same issue, they just aren't talking about it. I blame pride--we all want people to think our kids are perfect, but they are just as fallen as the adults who try to put on this farce.

    SO, know that you are NEVER alone in this struggle. Call if you need to talk, post if you need to vent, pray if you can't stop crying.

    And, by all means, call me if you find that diet wine!

    ReplyDelete