Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Power of the Media

Yesterday, Aaron and I were in that great bulls eye store that manages to blow my budget every time I get within smelling distance of it.  The odor is distinctly "Eau De Greenback", probably because so much money circulates through those automatic doors.

Anyway, when we got to the register, I did my usual inquiry of the cashier's day.*  She was a fairly young woman and didn't hesitate to answer my question with a very peculiar response.  I quote:  "The justice system has failed me."

Now THAT is a bold response.  Talk about diving head-first into a conversation with some one.  I hardly knew how to respond to her:  offer sympathy?  ask what case she lost?  see if the case is on appeal?

I simply said "Really?"

"Yes."  she said, "That baby killer is going free."

AHHH--we were suddenly on the same path.  The Casey Anthony verdict was making headlines on every talk show on radio and TV, as well as all three national news stations, plus the minor ones.

I found it quite peculiar that a person in Houston, Texas, with no real obvious ties to the case, was taking this issue so personally that she felt the justice system had failed HER.  So I said "You know, I don't think we are getting all the facts."

"Really?"  she said.

"If you remember, the jury has been sequestered for six weeks.  They've had no access to TV, radio, newspapers, magazines.  There's been LOTS of conversation during that time that they haven't heard.  All they've gotten are the facts presented in the courtroom."

This really seemed to surprise this young woman.  "I hadn't thought of it like that.  You're right."**

I asked if she had heard about the sentencing for the crimes Casey HAD been convicted of.  She was unsure, but felt that, for time served, there wouldn't be much jail time left for her.  And she thought that was a real shame.

But here is the real shame:  Someone decided that Caylee Anthony had lived a long enough life, at barely three years of age, and took steps to kill her.  She won't have the chance to go to kindergarten or her prom or have her own baby someday.

And that someone is still living with the guilt of the sin of murder and is separated from God as a result.

I don't know, nor will I ever, if the Anthony family had anything to do with Caylee's murder.  The media dang-sure wants me to believe that, but they don't know either.  If I were privy to the evidence shown in the courtroom, I have to believe, if it weren't filtered through a media-lens, that I would have come back with the same verdict.

But regardless of what the media wants us to believe regarding whether Casey got away with murder or not, the hard, cold facts usually win out.  Cold cases sometimes need time to completely thaw out before God takes action.

And, time and time again, I've seen God bring to justice that which is not right, even years or decades after the event.  I don't think this case is going to be any different.

Bottom line?  Stay tuned.  I don't think we've seen the last of this one.

And, if you think the justice system failed you?  Pray for justice to be done, according to God's will, in His time.


*I routinely do this in stores, at banks, and at restaurants.  I think it is important to acknowledge people who are working hard and, often, not getting much respect. 

**By the way, I'm adopting her and bringing her home so I can hear this statement more often.

2 comments:

  1. And as followers of Christ, our response is also - "Of course the justice system failed you. We live in a broken world whe sin and death reign. But our hope is in the One who overcame death and the grave and is out loose among the world setting it to rights."

    ReplyDelete