Thursday, May 26, 2011

Hello Gorgeous!

Let me start by admitting that I used to be exclusively a fall girl. I was into everything about changing leaves and cooler weather and the distant sound of the marching band practicing on the High School field for Friday night's football game.

Fall? I still heart you. But, Summer? Well, Hello Gorgeous*!!!

I'm not sure what it is about summer 2011 that has me so stoked. It looks suspiciously like summers past--activity on the verge of "I thought I didn't plan much; what happened?", heat sure to hit 100 degrees sometime in July and stay there for days on end, and moments when I will lament that fact that school let out in late May.

In talking with other Moms over the past couple of weeks, I discovered I am not alone. I couldn't find a single person who wasn't really, genuinely excited for summer to be here.

I've wondered if it is the stage we all find ourselves in, that place where homework is a sure bet at least four days of the week. Or the fact that everyone seems to be participating in one or two extra-curricular things. Or that most of us are raising multiple children with multiple friends, not all of whom live right next door to us.

Regardless of what it is, I'm glad summer is allowing us a period of time to get away from the "normal" routine of the school year. I'm glad we can get up at the crack of nine and eat a big brunch, instead of breakfast and lunch. I'm glad, if a favorite movie of the kids is in the Redbox and we discover it at 7:30pm on a Tuesday evening, that we can all gather on the couch and enjoy it, unfazed by the time.

I'm looking forward to pruned toes and fingers from too much time in the pool, flavored ice tea so cold that it gives you goose bumps in 96 degree weather, and grilled hamburgers and hot dogs.

I'm glad the boys will see their cousins in both Jacksonville and Dallas and each spend their own, private weekend getting to know their Pop and Gran a little better.

I'm praying that this will be the summer that The Babe discovers he really wants Jesus in his life and that we can celebrate his decision.

But, mostly, I'm looking forward to nesting with my little flock. Having the chance to have long talks about things that matter and things that don't. Being available to be the one to bandage that cut knee and administer the Tylenol after too much fun in the sun. In short, doing all those things that Moms do when their kids are home again.

There just aren't that many summers between now and graduation for Nickels. I'm painfully aware of friends who are entering the empty nest phase and feel so very lost. I'm aware of others who begin summer under the weight of knowing their youngest will start kindergarten in the fall and wondering how they will survive that. Yet others are awaiting that "surprise" baby that is rocking their universe.

Wherever we find ourselves this summer, I pray that we enjoy the time. Savor it. Drink it in until we are drunk with joy.

So, summer? Be good to us. Don't rush by like a speeding train, leaving a trail of dust and a wish that we had gotten on while the getting was good. Let us take in every sweet, sour, and salty flavor you have to offer.

And, if you could, please? Tell fall that I'm looking forward to time with her, too.


*Why does summer remind me of reruns of "Sex and the City"?

No comments:

Post a Comment