Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Brunch

I have been slightly off-kilter all week because we are hosting Easter brunch and I went and did the unspeakable: I created a "non-traditional" menu.

Generally, we'd be having ham, green bean casserole, and crescent rolls. Instead, we're enjoying crab quiche, grilled chicken/pasta salad, and two types of sliders.

In other words: I've branched out, in a culinary sense, but it has been HARD.

I've worried about what everyone will think of these new recipes I'm trying, even though they've all commented "GREAT!"

I've worried about getting everything ready, from the house to the flower beds to the food, when all I've wanted to do is write and go shopping for pool toys and Crocs for the kids.*

I've worried that I've invited Mike's side of the family and Dad's new bride and her family and "What if they don't get along?"

And, I've realized, if I just had determined that we were having a traditional meal, that I would feel so much less stress. While I dearly love to try new things, when you add a dozen extra people to the mix, all trying that new thing too, it makes my stomach lurch.

So, I'm having to pray myself off the proverbial ledge and get busy listening to God, who is reminding me even now that the important thing is family, not the food or the flower beds or whether or not I'm able to corral all the dust bunnies and contain them.

I'm being reminded that Christ is the reason for the day. And the worst that could happen is we have to ditch our funky fixin's and head for the local Luby's.**

And, in the end, if we have a memory of the food, it will only be because it was great or horrible. Either of which will make for a good blog post later.

What I really, secretly want is a houseful of laughter and conversation and gratitude. So, Lord, please bless this Easter Day in that way. Help me forget all the peripheral things and make this all about the people. And, at the forefront of all of our minds, may you stay. Today, tomorrow, and always.

Happy Easter all!

*Some body's got spring fever. Doo da. Doo da.

**At least, this year, we shouldn't come home to realize our refrigerator isn't working properly and $200 worth of groceries are gone. Yes, that was a joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment