Monday, March 7, 2011

Secret Millionaire

Secret Millionaire is ABC's latest foray into changing Sunday night into "HEY KIDS! Let's all gather around the TV and cry."

It has the feel of CBS's Undercover Boss, the show about CEO's of well-known corporations going incognito to discover the good, bad and ugly about their companies. But Secret Millionaire has a whole lot more heart and substance.

I was fascinated by the concept of Secret Millionaire from the very first time I saw a commercial for the series. In my heart of hearts, I have a special place for giving. In fact, my dream job is to give away tons of money to deserving people and never run out of cash to serve those truly in need.

I could have blown through an entire box of kleenex in the first 15 minutes of this show. By the end of it, I was covered in mascara and snot, having not learned my lesson in the first segment.

My kids were equally as touched. They begged me to DVR the series so we could watch again next week.

And it gave me the opportunity to talk to the boys about how much I want them to truly learn to give from their hearts, without it sounding like a lecture. It also paved the way to a conversation that allowed me the chance to clear up Hooman's understanding that our family doesn't do anything "like the lady on TV did".*

I'm pretty sure there will be critics who say this show is trying to highlight the wealthy to make them look good. Or make them feel better about themselves. Or some other negative, let's-divide-our-country, BS speech.

But, to those critics, I say: the point and beauty of this show is that it demonstrates all the good that is going on behind the scenes in America. It underscores the "pay-it-forwards"** coming from every strata of our society, from the richest to the poorest.

This show takes the time to call to attention the acts of service we are, undoubtedly, passing every day and not noticing. It proves that hope still exists in our country, even in the poorest of circumstances. And that we can all give in ways, big and small, to effect the lives of those around us.

Next Sunday night? I'll be prepared with a big, honking box of tissue. Won't you join me, either in person or in spirit in your own home, to watch this show?

I think it may "The Little Engine That Could" of TV right now. And, if it even inspires one person or family to volunteer from the storehouse of whatever they have, it will be the best that TV programming can offer.

Bravo, ABC! Thank you for a show that I can watch with my family that reminds us of how very blessed we are and of the importance of giving back to those in our community.


*No, we can't give away checks totalling $100,000, but that wasn't the point of the show.

**ADD thought: If you have never watched the movie "Pay It Forward", do yourself a favor and rent it today. Helen Hunt, Kevin Spacey, and Haley Joel Osment lead you through a heart-wrenching story of giving of oneself in circumstances that are less than stellar. It will leave you speechless, with the desire to search for opportunities to give to those around you.

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts, Jill. Your point is well-made: we can all give out of the abundance God has blessed us with. And living in this country, he HAS blessed us with a lot!

    ReplyDelete