Monday, February 14, 2011

V-Day

Posting for Valentine's Day is a real challenge. After all, it's the big kahuna of love. The ultimate show of sentiment. The really big, expensive, over-the-top, billion dollar holiday.

I could've gone the "Hallmark" route and written something funny, romantic, or sentimental. But, you could get that by trucking over to Walmart and picking up any of a thousand cards they are selling today.

I could've gone the "Hershey's" route and been sweet, sappy, and sugary. And talked way too much about my love of all things full of cane and cocoa.

But, I couldn't write anything better than what was already written about love in 1 Corinthians. It's the authority on what our lives look like without love, love's attributes, and the importance of love.

If ever you wonder what the ultimate model for love looks like, you need look no further than these passages.

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."*

Have a wonderful Valentine's Day with those you love and with the memories of those you miss, but so deeply love still.


*Verses 1-8, 13

No comments:

Post a Comment