Sunday, December 26, 2010

"B" is for "Baseball"

Cliff Lee has left the Rangers. (Sure, it's been a couple of weeks ago, but I'm tardy for everything, if I'm nothing else. So, queue today's post!)

Um, frankly, I didn't even know he was really in Texas at all. Much less playing for a ball team out of Arlington. But what DID catch my attention was the news that he has signed a $120 million contract for the next five years.

Yes, you read that right: 24 million/year.

Some of you are thinking "That's just ridiculous. Nobody is worth that kind of money."

Some of you are thinking "Good for him. I hope he is happy in Philly and has a long pitching career."

And some of you are thinking "Good riddance, jackwagon. I hope you tear BOTH your rotator cuffs."*

I don't keep up with baseball** and I don't have an opinion about whether trading from one team to the next is right v. wrong, so I'm in the group of people wishing him well.

And because I don't give a horse's tushy about watching baseball, I'm admittedly ignorant about HOW someone can be worth this much money for playing a game. But, I figure someone being paid MAJOR coin to pitch a ball must have something going on, so I'm taking his talent at face value.

But, this salary? I had to break down to a daily thing to get my mind around: $65,753.43.

That's a whole lotta clams.

I look at that kind of money and I see burden. Not wealth. Not excess. PRESSURE.

Think of it from Cliff's point-of-view: I make $66,000/day and if I have even one off day, one off game, that's a problem.

Add to that, the fact that professional ball players have plenty of injuries and surgeries and the pressure escalates. The pressure has caused plenty of normally sane men to turn to steroids to keep their careers in tip-top shape.

Then, bump it up again by adding that Jesus stated "Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God” (Matthew 19:24). And add emphasis by the repetition of this same phrase in both Mark and Luke.

And when you put all the pieces together? You find Cliff Lee and many other professional sport's players in one heck of a pressure cooker.

Hopefully the next five years will be injury-free. Maybe being in one place will take some of the stress off. There should be time for his family to throw down roots and make a home for themselves.

The people of Philly HATED him when he left. But, as they say, sometimes you can go home***. I'm sure, in the Philly press, Cliff is giving interviews about "hoping to retire and make a permanent home for his family." At least for the next five years, that should be true. With the crazy schedule that baseball follows, something should be solid for his wife and kids.

I really hope Mr. Lee has a great run of it, gives away a good chunk of his money to worthy charities, pursues God, stays off the 'roids, and keeps himself grounded. Because, regardless of what the press says on any give day, all this stuff won't matter when he's on his death bed.

Best of luck, Cliff. Sadly, this is the first and last time I will pay attention to you. I'm crawling back in my "Baseball? What's that?" hole and staying until I see the shadow indicating the season is safely over.

But, if you have an extra two mil or so floating around that needs a safe landing pad, feel free give me a little ring-a-ling.


*Might I suggest a little anger-management course? It's BASEBALL for gosh-sake, not life and death.

**Unless I can find a baseball player that looks like Mike Modano or Howie Long or Jason Witten. THEN, suddenly, I'm VERY interested in the sport. Sadly, I haven't seen anyone with a ball glove and cap on who's as cute as those other athletes....

***But, of course, home is actually with the fine folks of Benton, Arkansas. They are the people who wiped his infant butt and called him out of the top of the tree and boxed his ears. They KNOW him and probably aren't afraid to tell him the truth when he gets out of line. Too bad there aren't any professional teams in that area; the Walmart Walruses does have a nice ring....

No comments:

Post a Comment