Friday, November 12, 2010

Lessons from the movie UP

Hooman is home ill today, so he had a chance to choose a movie from the DVD basket. He chose UP.

I haven't been able to watch UP since Mom died; I tried once and it about killed me. So, I swore off it for awhile, even though I dearly love the movie.

This morning, I waited until the movie was almost 3/4 of the way done and then I went in to spend some time watching with Hoo.

Stupid me. I had forgotten that some of the best parts of that movie are in the last quarter.

It isn't often that I can look at a movie and say there are some good, true, and right take-aways. But, this is a rare gem of a movie.

If you haven't seen UP, it will be worth your time. Just be prepared that it deals with real life issues: infertility, death, loss, love. For a "kid's movie", it delivers to even those of us who are well past that demographic.

Here are a few of the lessons I learned (being typed as I simultaneiously watch and cry):

1. Not all progress is good.

2. Love still exists.

3. Our biggest disappointments are often followed by blessings we never could have seen coming.

4. When it comes down to it, love is all that matters.

5. Ice cream is still a wonderful treat.

6. In the end, all the material possessions in the world don't matter.

7. Dogs are a man's best friend. They love you even if you don't love them back.

8. It is possible to change from being cranky to being happy.

9. Hearing aids are good for tuning in AND tuning out.

10. It is important to give those you love wings to move on after you are gone.

11. Chocolate is a universal craving.

12. Hollywood, for all its faults, can still make a great movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment