Saturday, November 27, 2010

Disappointments of the Potter Kind

Because I am a stay-at-home Mom and I have nothing better to do with my time*, I decided to take the "Which Harry Potter Character Are You?" quiz.

Several people I know on Facebook have posted their results, so I figured I should throw my hat in the ring and see which interesting character I'd be tagged as.

After all, when the first movie premiered, Mike and the Marriage Enrichment class from our church all skipped our traditional evening of talking and eating to attend the movie. Even got ourselves interviewed for a little article in the local paper. And the church got some rather, shall we say, hateful voice and emails**.

But, I digress into ancient history. Now we are staring down the seats at almost the last movie. I've long since bored with the spells, plots, and that Ron boy, ESPECIALLY since he became the heart-throb a couple of movies back***. That's when I told Mike he'd have to find a suitable, yet different, date for the next one.

So, since I fancy myself to be somewhat interesting, sometimes exciting, and definitely a little "dark" (but in a NICE way), I figured I'd end up being somewhere between a Death Eater, him whose name we can't mention, and a house elf.

But, NOOOO.

It turns out you CAN'T escape your past. You are doomed to relive the person you were in High School****. The boring, bookish, good girl whom the principal only talked to once*****, in the hall, in all four years.

I'm "Hermione".

She's described as "...book smart, moral and cool under pressure. You love learning and showing others what you know. You’re way more mature than those around you, and you always seem to know what’s best."

OK. Let's dissect:
1. Yeah, sometimes, sure.
2. Yes. Duh, I'm a teacher.
3. Is this meant as a backward compliment? 95% of the time I'm around people who are a quarter my age, give or take five years. I BETTER be more mature than they are and I should know what's best!

In other words? B.O.R.I.N.G.

Even my glass of Yellow Tail Chardonnay can't dull the pain of that one!

I want to be my friend, who is running up to Seattle this week, to start her new job under a boss who wanted to "shake the hand of the woman who's been stealing business from me."

I want to be my friend, who is running her umpteenth marathon, and still manages to stay up to a respectable hour of the evening without falling asleep before the news starts, even though she's up before most roosters six days a week.

I want to be someone who people call to find out what party theme they should employ, what the hot trends are, and how to get on the list at the hottest restaurant.

But, instead, I'm Hermoine. I manage to marry Ron and have a kid I name Hugo.

When I think about that? All I have to add is: Thank goodness I'm ME!

So, if you need a killer homemade pot pie recipe, want to know how to remove the stench of dog poo from your carpeting, or the name of the line that trails behind a plane, I'm your gal.

And, in just a couple of minutes, I'll have the results of "Which Rocky Horror Character Are You". So, stay tuned.



*Besides eat chocolates, have an affair with the pool boy, and take my dog-in-a-bag to the local mall, that is.

**You're welcome, previous church, two-times removed. Just doing my duty to keep the war going between the two sides.

***Look, people. I can suspend reality only SO MUCH. That was jumping the shark.

****Less the booze and tight jeans.

*****I was wearing what could be described as a "long midriff". It was a T-shirt that skimmed the top of my painted-on Jordache jeans. And the Vice Principal said to me "I'm sure you didn't mean to wear something out of dress code, but that shirt is a little too short." I turned eighty shades of red and about died. Never wore that thing again.

2 comments:

  1. *What timing - I just came across that article this weekend. Yes, I saved it. For controversary sake. AND saw Harry Potter on Friday. AND I've figured out how to post comments! Good times. JG

    ReplyDelete
  2. HYSTERICAL! I saved it too. Why? Good question...maybe our 15 minutes of fame???
    You are on a roll, girl!

    ReplyDelete