Friday, November 5, 2010

Cooking Substitutes for the Holidays (and Beyond!)

Inevitably, on days that life seems to be running in high gear and I can't even shift into first, I run out of something I need to complete breakfast, lunch or dinner. These are always the days where an event on the calendar or school drop-off/pick-up time renders me unable to make a quick dash to the store.

Recently, I've turned to the greatest source of information for moments like these: Goggle. I've found this search engine to be an unending source of help when I need a suitable substitute for just about anything food related.

Now, I have to admit that searching for a recipe for your favorite goulash can put you at a wee bit of a disadvantage. You generally will end up with 1,439 recipes, 94% of which wouldn't be given a second sniff by your neighborhood stray mutt.

However, I've found a couple of lifesavers that I have to share with you that are tried and true by yours truly.* These have stood the test of time (meaning I've made them several times), are kid and adult approved, and are allergy friendly (if you are allergic to high-gluten wheat, milk, MSG, and preservatives, that is).
Plus, these are great money savers. What more could a person want than less coin going to Daddy Kroger and more cashola in their own pocket?

Bon Appetit!**

Bisquick substitute
I was in Costco this weekend and saw 96 ounces of Bisquick for $6.99. If you buy a 5 pound bag of flour, salt, and baking powder, you may spend half that! The shortening will be more expensive, but you only need 1 tablespoon so you'll have some left for that wonderful homemade pie crust you'll be making at Thanksgiving, right?***

For 1 cup of Bisquick alternative (FYI: 12 small biscuits requires ~ 2 cups mix)
1 c. flour (I use spelt)
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 T. vegetable shortening (try non-hydrogenated if you are concerned about Crisco)

Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening using a pastry blender or two knives (use criss-crossing action).

Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

To bake: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Add 1/3 to 2/3 cup milk (I use coconut milk), starting with 1/3 cup and increasing to necessary wetness (shouldn't be mushy).

For drop biscuits: Spoon onto baking pan/into muffin tins.
For cut biscuits (I never do this): Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes, roll to desired thickness, place on pan.
Bake biscuits for 10-12 minutes, just until lightly browned on bottom.

Pumpkin Pie Spice
At my Walmart Neighborhood Store, this stuff goes for a little under $5 for a 1.1 ounce jar. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that is more expensive than 10 gallons of gas, adjusted for proportions. Plus, unless you are using this spice to make something other than pumpkin pie in the fall, it just sits on the shelf begging to be used. So, conjure up these other ingredients (also known as "beg your neighbor") and put the kibosh on paying too much for spices.

Makes exactly 1 tablespoon

1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. ground ginger
1/8 t. ground nutmeg
1/8 t. ground allspice

Mix together. Store in airtight container.

Creamy Italian Dressing
There is nothing I hate more than shopping for salad dressing. If I happen to purchase a bottle I hate, I refuse to throw it away (cheap, cheap****)until it expires. RIDONKULOUS. So, I've started to put together recipes that I can be sure are allergy friendly AND tasty. Emphasis here on TASTY.

1 c. Hellmann's mayo
2 T. white vinegar
1/2 t. sea salt
1/8 t. pepper
3/4 t. Italian seasoning
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 T. agave nectar (or sub sugar, if you must. I'll still call you "friend".)
1/4 t. oregano
1 large clove garlic, peeled

Place all ingredients in a blender to combine. Makes ~ 1.5 cups.

Taco Seasoning (equivalent to 1 store-bought packet)
There is almost nothing I love more than taco night. Not only are the ingredients versatile ("Would you like a taco, burrito, nachos or taco salad?"), but they also stretch a LLLLOOOONNNNGGGG way...often into the next day. And a leftover taco salad is next to Heaven.

I have to watch the cayenne pepper with my little ones. You might also go light on the chili powder, though that hasn't been much of an issue in my house.

1 T. dried minced onion
2 t. chili powder
1 1/2 t. salt
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 to 1 t. cayenne pepper or hot pepper
1 t. cornstarch, dissolved in 3/4 c. water

Add all ingredients to browned ground meat (turkey, bison, beef). Turn heat to low and allow water to absorb into meat, stirring on occasion.

IMPORTANT FINAL MESSAGE:
Blogger makes no warranties in regard to any of these recipes or any of the dishes that may be created from these recipes or any food poisoning that happens to come out of reader's kitchens. Blogger is further not responsible for the reader's inability to a) chop b) cut c) grind d) blend or any other semi-dangerous kitchen activity that may eminate from the posting of said recipes. Finally, Blogger holds herself completely harmless if you hate what I've posted.*****

IF YOU MAKE IT AND LOVE IT, LET ME KNOW BY COMMENTING.

IF YOU MAKE IT AND HATE IT, USE THE MANNERS YOUR MOMMA TAUGHT YOU AND KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.******


*Hopefully, they won't end up in the garbage can as you shake your head in disbelief that I must be the world's worst cook (AKA: Now I understand why her kids are so thin.)

**Those of you who love to cook: just for grins, instead of reading this, channel your best Julia Child impression and use it generously, every time you serve your family, for about a week. A little French flair makes even Hamburger Helper seem so provencial.

***Just kidding. I don't do this myself, much less put the onus on someone else to try to make pastry. Use it to make butter cream frosting instead!

****No, those aren't chickens clucking. That's me acknowledging I'm thrifty to the core.

*****Have I ever admitted I wanted to be an attorney when I grow up?

******Just kidding. Please post comments, love or hate, so we can improve upon these recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment