Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Great Comeback

In response to being called "Old Man" by his slightly younger sister (whose day is coming. and whose friends are all older. and who have seen every mutation of the "40" surprise party. and know how to exact revenge.):

"Just put Matlock on the color box and leave me alone."

Took me just a minute to interpret this the first time I read it. But the next time, and the time after that? I just couldn't stop laughing.*

This is the kind of brilliant comeback that makes its way forward in my mind at the pace of a land tortoise. I KNOW the perfect, slam dunk, in your face! comeback for every occasion resides in there. They just won't move at a hare's pace so I can use them in a timely manner.

Way to go, older brother of my friend. I feel your pain. I have one of those pesky, younger siblings. And they ARE a pain in the rear at times.

And, dare I say, worse than the mandatory colonoscopy that is barreling down the lane at you, full speed ahead???

*If you are still too young to understand this: TV.

3 comments:

  1. Bwah ha ha ha! Deserved that. However, by the time I'm there, Being 40 will be "hip". So, then I'll be hip, and you all will still be old.

    FAAA-BU-LOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our family, Jill...we call that a joke grenade. You know something is coming, possibly amusing, perhaps catastrophic...wait for it...wait for it...then...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, MB. By the time you are 40, Glenn and I will be discussing your new HIP. I guess that will make you hip??? :)

    Glenn. I guess I deserve a "Welcome to the Family" party now. I imagine it would include pretty linens, silver, and crystal. Nice balance to the black for your 40th, eh? :)

    I love being in the middle of a sibling rivalry, riding the fence, and throwing grenades both ways. HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE.

    ReplyDelete