Thursday, July 29, 2010

Notice of Violation

I am generally a cautious driver. I gave up tailgating in my twenties, along with not having a designated driver.

My kids complain ferociously about the fact that they still have to sit in booster seats and wear their seat belts until the car comes to a complete halt.

Overall, I'd say you are in good hands when I am behind the wheel. But, apparently the City of Dallas had a bone to pick with me.....and here is the nicest retort they won't ever receive from one of their taxpayers.


Dear Sophia M. Gray, ID#1224,Enforcement Officer for the City of Dallas:

Thank you for the ultra-kind letter you sent to my house today. It was completely unexpected but well written (and, since I'm an English teacher by trade, you can take that as a BIG compliment.)

I really enjoyed the video link showing my car crossing the Alpha/Dallas North Parkway intersection on 7/13/2010 at 12:48:40pm. I actually remember that moment in my mind, so it was awesome to see it again. I find it interesting that I was in the intersection for .369 seconds after the light turned red. Silly me!

Actually, truth-be-told, my butt cheeks still hurt a little from the clenching I did when I realized "I can either gun it and get through as fast as possible or slam on the brakes and end up in the middle of the intersection." I opted for gunning it, given that our Armada hasn't had a good engine cleaning in years and I figured one huge acceleration might knock some of the junk out. That, and, quite possibly, keep me from being pummeled by four lanes of traffic heading North off the crosswalk line at warp speed.

But, you know Sophia, somehow, I don't think any of that would matter in court, would it?

I was pretty pleased when I looked around to see no red light violation thingamajiggies in sight. But, by golly! You guys are good! Perching the cameras on the SIDE of the Galleria? Cheeky monkeys, aren't you?

Thanks for sharing the four ways I can pay the very reasonable $75 fine your letter requested. I have a feeling you'll be receiving a check by mail, postmarked the day it is due, but, who knows! Meeting you in person might be fun; maybe we should do lunch the day I bring the money to your office!? That is, if your law enforcement job doesn't have you all tied down that day.

Anyway, I hope your afternoon has been filled with at least one of the following pleasures: a root canal, a routine colonoscopy or a mammogram. After all, your letter brought about that much joy to my life, so I can only wish for you the same.

Your neighbor,
Jill Nowell

No comments:

Post a Comment