Wednesday, May 12, 2010

It's a Slow Fade

I've been thinking lately* that it is very interesting how people respond to the media.

Have you ever noticed if a plane crash occurs, killing dozens of people, we hear about it for weeks? In gory detail. And, for some reason, we are drawn to this.

But when a plane lands safely after a near-air collision, instead of rejoicing in the fact that we have all the technology to make our trips safer, that we can be on a different continent within one day's time, or that, statistically, you are less likely to die in a plane than in a car, we immediately try to place blame. And the blame game goes on for weeks, months, and years. And we all tune in to see what the "latest" news is on the cover-up**, the aftermath, or the lawsuit.

So, more thinking ensued. When was the last time I heard of something really good happening in our world?

I thought. And I thought. And I thought some more.

And I couldn't come up with a single headline that was positive.

Frankly, that scared me. I wondered "Is there really such a lack of good in this world? Or am I so tuned in to the negative that I have started failing to see the positive?"

Which made me think further: What is it that, corporately, we thrive on negativism?

Is it our fallen nature? In other words, since we are born sinning, do we somehow get perverse satisfaction out of watching others fail, make mistakes, or die? Does it somehow make us feel better to watch those around us screw up? I think the answer is "yes".

I'm as guilty as the rest. Last night, watching Monday night's recorded episode of 24, I found myself cheering for Jack Bauer as he gutted a perp trying to get a SIM card out of the guy's stomach. Why was I so pleased at this action? Because the perp had killed Jack's girlfriend, violently. And I wanted revenge for Renee's death.

Are you catching this? I was cheering for a fictional character to kill another fictional character for revenge for another fictional character's death. Try as I might, I can't find ANY logic in that statement.

I'm not a gun-toting Butch Cassidy, but, by golly, if I can get that worked up over people who don't even exist, how far could I possibly be from violence in real life?

Obviously, I've become warped. But, obviously not so warped that, today, I'm blogging about the fact that my response bothered me. Immediately. And, I realized, I'm glad 24 is going off the air. I don't need to clutter my mind with man-on-man violence on a weekly basis.

Maybe it's my age, an age at which I would HOPE I'd be smarter than I was ten, fifteen, or twenty years ago, but I am starting to really understand the impact of negativism on my own life. I'm seeing it is a snare. I'm realizing that I can make a choice to surround myself with wholesome, good, positive information or trashy, bad, negative stuff.

It's a daily thing for me. I fall down and pick myself back up. I make mistakes, admit them, and move forward.

The lyrics to Casting Crowns' song, "Slow Fade", have captivated me every time I have heard them on the radio. It wasn't until today that I realized I need to heed the message.

I hope they speak to you, too. In a positive way, about making changes that edify you and those around you.

I'm praying for all of us. God knows, we need it.


Slow Fade
Be careful little eyes what you see
It's the second glance that ties your hands as darkness pulls the strings
Be careful little feet where you go
For it's the little feet behind you that are sure to follow

CHORUS:
It's a slow fade when you give yourself away
It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray
And thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
When you give yourself away
People never crumble in a day

It's a slow fade, it's a slow fade

Be careful little ears what you hear
When flattery leads to compromise, the end is always near
Be careful little lips what you say
For empty words and promises lead broken hearts astray

CHORUS

The journey from your mind to your hands
Is shorter than you're thinking
Be careful if you think you stand
You just might be sinking

CHORUS

Daddies never crumble in a day
Families never crumble in a day

*Oh be careful little eyes what you see
Oh be careful little eyes what you see
For the Father up above is looking down in love
Oh be careful little eyes what you see*
© 2007 Reunion



*Watch out!

**There's ALWAYS one of those in cases like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment