Monday, May 24, 2010

The Best

I love my kids. They are truly the biggest blessing, besides Mike, I've ever had bestowed upon me.

Way back in September last year, one of the sweet-ums wrote this on a paper dinner napkin:
I love you MOM
Your the BEST

It's just not very often you get that kind of genuine kindness from an 8-year-old (at the time). But, hey, he's a really loving kid. I SHOULD expect it from him.

It makes me think: what if I went into every situation with my kids EXPECTING them to do the right thing, instead of worrying about them making an ass of themselves and, by proxy, me as well?

I don't know if I'm the only parent out there who, upon sending my kids out in the world, just prays they do the right thing, say the right thing*, and treat others with kindness**.

I'm totally unclear on Biblical precedent for "positive thinking = positive results", but I do know that the Devil is roaming around, just like a lion on the prowl, waiting to devour someone in his path. Anyone with a pulse will do.

So, if I have a negative attitude, I have to believe the Devil will prey upon that and I will receive exactly what I am expecting to happen. Conversely, if I have faith that there is truth in the concept that believing and praying for the best will bring out the best in my kids, my petitions will be heard and the result will be praiseworthy kids.

Then, if they stumble, I can help lift them out of the pit, dust them off, talk with them about doing right, and point them back out to try again.

It seems that, daily, that's what happens with God and me. I know he knows I'm totally, completely fallible. And, when I make mistakes, He's disappointed, but not surprised.

Why, as a parent, then, would I treat my kids differently? I know they are prone to mistakes. I know their mistakes will disappoint and frustrate me. But, instead of worrying about it ahead of time and, possibly, opening a door for the Devil to walk through, I should be at the ready to extend God-given grace to them.

It all goes back to that napkin message. If I daily remember it, I remember how much I love each of my boys and that they ARE the best that God has given me***.

To think of them as any less than the best, faults and all, isn't honoring God in the way I'm called to honor Him.

So, I'm going to do my darndest to send them out into the world with the expectation that I will receive good reports and happy comments and praise about my wonderful children.

And, if I don't, I know God will point me in the right direction.

After all, I'm his child, and he wants what is good and right for me. And, by proxy, for my children.

Praise be for such a wonderful maker!


*And, certainly, don't try to lecture people about "their way" vs. "our way". I hope I've taught them tolerance of people's opinions and rituals as a family, but that they should stand up when something is blatantly, Biblically wrong.

**Unlike the way they often treat each other. GADS.

***Along with Mike!

2 comments: