Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Dinner Choices

I do kind of see the irony of going to the "nutrition" tab on the Taco Bueno site. AFTER polishing off my dinner.

But, hey. That's how I roll.

And, apparently, roll is exactly what I am going to get from my "smart" choice.

I drove up to get a big old stack of steak nachos but saw an ad for their new Black Bean Burrito. With cilantro sauce. And grated jalapeno Jack cheese. YUM.

I have just recently realized the joy of the black bean. And cilantro? I could eat it by the bushel with a pitchfork. Need I even mention that I am patiently waiting for someone to name a cheese after me?*

But what really put this choice over the top was the little blurb in the upper-right corner of the plastic ad board that said "Perfect Lenten choice!" How could I pass up what, obviously, was THE Christian dinner on the menu?** I think God would have frowned if I had gone for the nachos at that point.

So, here's what I ate, along with what my brain was thinking as I read the stats:

Calories: 490 (semi-bad)

Fat: 15 grams (UGH. I can feel the saturated fats settling. As I type.)

Sodium: 730 grams (I'm sure this still doesn't beat Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup, but it won't matter to my body when it wakes up in the morning bloated like a week old armadillo, belly-up by the roadside.)

Carbs: 70 grams (SEVENTY. That must be a typo. Dr. Atkins is rolling over in his grave right now.)

Fiber: 9 grams (OK. This almost saves it for me. At least I'll be regular come morning.)

Sugar: 2 grams (I'm confused, Mr. Bueno. How is there ANY SUGAR in my BURRITO?)

Protein: 18 grams (YES! A small victory for my dinner choice. At least I've been vindicated by the protein. Of course, we are talking beans here. So, the vindication may last awhile.)

This was a really, really tasty burrito. And I'm glad I enjoyed it before I looked up the goods, because that happens to be the first and last Black Bean Burrito I'm going to get sucked into eating.

However. I did notice the cheesecake chimichangas, golden fried and gooey in the middle.

I wonder if those were "Lent" approved, too???

Let me just tab over here and see.....



*How many tons of the stuff did Jack have to eat to get a chunk named after him? Whatever that number? I've eaten DOUBLE that. It's time for Monterey Jill, people.

**Even though we're well past Lent, Easter, and practically at Summer??

No comments:

Post a Comment