Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Minor Flaw in Logic

I just read this banner on the Internet: Financial Future? Ask a Psychic!

Wow! All it takes to determine my financial future is to sit down and talk with a psychic? Sign me up!

But, first, I have to get past the following:

1. If I'm a psychic with intimate knowledge of the financial future of the people I talk to, why don't I just pinpoint the wisdom that made these random people rich, use that information, and become a quadzillionaire?

Then I could get out of the pyschicing business which, I'm sure, is a very tiring industry to be in. I mean, really, how many times can you answer the question "Who am I going to marry? How many munchkins am I going to thrust out? Where should we live for maximum happiness?" I imagine that gets old after day two.

2. I really have a hard time trusting my money with someone who has CFA, CFP, ChFC, CPA and PFS after their name. I mean, it takes a pretty good leap of faith to write a check over to someone you aren't related to, don't live with, and who could be the head of another Ponzi scheme.

I'm thinking the only credential behind the name Psychic is B.S.* That doesn't exactly instill big-time financial confidence in me. I mean, most days I could qualify for THAT credential and I'm not the sharpest razor in the Schick plant.

So, I guess it's back to good old-fashioned saving and investing for the Nowells. And, good, old-fashioned billing for Mike.

Unless one of us can BECOME psychic.

HMMMMMMM.


*And I'm not talking a Bachelor of Science here.

No comments:

Post a Comment